A troll is a YTMNDer that creates an account and does malicious things to get attention. The term troll is given when such a user does something other than upvote, downvote, or comment spam. Such examples are posting shock sites, posting the same image over and over again, or using a combination of these. Most trolls in some way shape or form break YTMND's Terms of service for creating sites.
How to deal with a troll
Here are some basic dos and don'ts when it comes to dealing with trolls.
- Do not attempt to counter-troll the troll. This will only help them achieve their objective of getting attention.
- Do not make about them. They are not very effective and again they only help get his attention, making him/her want to do more trolling thus defeating the purpose of your site.
- Do not attempt to rationalize with the troll. Most trolls are little kids with the mental capacity of a 6 year old. You are more likely to have a civil conversation with a spamming chat bot than you are able to convince them to stop trolling through civil conversation (or any other type of conversation at all)
- Know YTMND's Terms Of Service very well. Most trolls will do things that violate it (IE post porn, or shock sites). Report them. Sadly most trolls get away with thier activities because no one takes the initiative to inform the mods about their deeds.
- Downvote sites that do. The less public attention they recieve, the better. The best way to do this is to downvote without leaving a comment. This way they have nothing to make fun of.
- Add them to the list below. Trolls generally don't use the wiki anyway. The more the community knows about the troll, the better we will be to respond to them.