if you add users to this list that cleary dont fit definition, or its obvious you just listed people who downvoted you, I WILL block you from wiki. How about you read the article instead of having some loose defintion about 'retarded'? MasterSitsu
- retarded (adj.) relatively slow in mental or emotional or physical development; exhibiting a significantly below-normal global intellectual capacity as an adult; tested as having an intelligence quotient (I.Q.) below 75 or 70. (see "handicapped") (slang) to lack or appear to lack the ability to demonstrate logical cognitive reasoning within certain situations; to continuously and/or deliberately make illogical decisions and/or give incorrect answers. (see "stupid")
spotting a narv
deleted it, i dont think its very accurate. at all. talk here before making it again. - MasterSitsu
- Well if we're going to take that out we should do something about the bad music taste area. I'm sure there's more than that. --OMG HAX 18:42, August 16, 2006 (CDT)
A lot of the points raised were invalid, but there is definitely more than can be added here. BTape 21:44, August 16, 2006 (CDT)
This is Not a Downvoters List
Onel I don't think is really a NARV as much as he is a split voting angry ranter. This is best shown in his comments on sites about Ebaums world showing he is obviously just trying to piss people off
- Is m912solid (see comments) a NARV, a downvoter, or just an asshat? --OMG HAX! 19:33, August 24, 2006 (CDT)
Hmm well he has seemed to pull a Xiu judging by his votes and comments so I would say attention whore.--MarcusTheMartin 21:06, August 24, 2006 (CDT)
The account is extremely suspicious though,I guess it was deleted,since he "joined" today. --St205 12:18, August 25, 2006 (CDT)
The User Blizzard I don't think belongs in the list since it is said he downvotes all non World of Warcraft sites It is possible he is just an attention whore--MarcusTheMartin 06:10, August 31, 2006 (CDT)
What about n4rvst(sp)? He's a troll,downvoter,etc.. so maybe he doesnt qualify for the NARV list anymore? St205 17:34, September 7, 2006 (CDT)
people keep adding these. what did ollj do to offend? his vote history shows almost the same number of votes per number. perhaps you find him a disagreable voter, but i dont see NARVism. as for sexymofo, he is a plain ol' downvoter. he splits entirely between 1 and 5, but he doesnt upvote 'epic' or 'nedm' or vital things that NARV do.
hahaha this is great
sexymofo is a "famouser" as sitsu calls them, a downvoter basically however ollj downvotes every other site on U&C whenever he makes a site so he can stay on top, and he makes sites with stolen images/sound - well the latter describes a "parasite", not a NARV. update: ollj has been removed as admin of the ytmnd wiki by fyrestorm for petty downvoting as he has been caught doing in the past several times (changing all votes to 1's if he disagrees with anything a user says) Note that ollj can be described accurately both by the "parasite" label and by the "NARV" label. His sites make him a parasite, while his voting pattern shows him to be a NARV as well.
- SexyMovo is an NARV, but he's more of an attention whore really. Nobody takes his votes seriously (although a mini-fad based on him was made). Crazyswordsman 19:01, August 21, 2006 (CDT)
NEDM belongs here
Why delete it? It defines the NARV movement like nothing else does. -NEDM, as any fad, has poorly made sites that contribute to the fad in a negative way, but not in the same volume as sites commonly considered problematic in relation to NARVs. NEDM continues to contain worthwhile spinoffs, whereas epic, emo, and other defined NARV sites do not or rarely do at all.
- After seeing "Fails for no NEDM" written on Picard Song, this anonymous contributor does have a point. Crazyswordsman 19:01, August 21, 2006 (CDT)
Even though the needs more NEDM comments are extremely annoying I still enjoy the fad. It is just some odd cult thing I guess(even though it will most likely kill the fad).--MarcusTheMartin 06:17, August 22, 2006 (CDT)
Sup fellow narv-haters
I added a bit to the article. Put the "lol, ___" fad in to the commonly-NARV'd fads, and differentiated between noob and NARV as MasterSitsu has said on the comment log for SoM's ytnnd site.
i like this NARV thing because it makes me feel superior, but a couple points. NARVs are 'Voters,' but we mock their site making habits as well? not a problem, but i feel it should be clarified. Eon8 is a stupid fad, but i don't believe it belongs on this list. sites that i think should be added are googlefights, smarterchilds, santabots, and the like.
this is the best article on the site. (Smoothmedia 02:53, July 13, 2006 (CDT))
"NARV" has come to mean more than just the voters, perhaps NARSC (new age retarded site creators) is more apt for part of this, but creating more words while this one is just gaining steam... i dont know.
Great. You can make fun of people on the internet. YTMND = serious business, lol.
Could it be that you're just dicks?
This page seems like something Adverb would make.
- Maybe, but sometimes, you just feel really, fucking angry.
- At a website? Jesus. If you get angry at a thosand people you don't even know, what's the point? Why not just leave?
- Instead of flaming people for no reason, why don't you accept that they've been there since the beginning of YTMND? I think we all remember Josh Ballard, hmm?
- At a website? Jesus. If you get angry at a thosand people you don't even know, what's the point? Why not just leave?
eh the point is to get the word out. at one point I think every ytmnd user starts off as a NARV/maker of NARV sites and if we can promote the idea that those sites are not funny at all, hopefully people will be less inclined to make them.
- Through the Wiki, which no one ever uses? Why not just force an anti-NARV fad? XD Also, someone seems to have deleted the opposition section to the site. Explanation please? The remainder is a partisan opinion, clearly leaning one way.
the person who created the 'opposition' section, with its supposed 'lol elitism' catchphrase, was the only such person known to do such a thing. there has not being an uprising against the phrase because NARVs and Parasites dont know they are NARVs and parasites. Until a true movement is against the phrase, dont tamper with the wiki.
Hi. I was listed on this article as a NARV, for sourcing an image from b3ta and setting it to fad music. I credited both sources; I thought the combination of the blue ball theme and the well-tiled gif would create additional humour. I never claimed to create the image (I fully sourced it) and did not claim the music either (also fully sourced). Tell me, what about my ytmnd  specifically made it NARV fodder? AKismet 15:25, July 25, 2006 (CDT)
- That part of the article was deleted. You were not called a NARV, but your site was considered 'upvoted by NARVs' since in the past an edited gif not created by you would have not received that score - NARVs dont pay attention to site credits, or seem to even care when something is stolen ('stolen' being a gif posted on YTMND, even if credited, when a gif has been heavily edited by someone else)
" Why not just force an anti-NARV fad?"
Obviously you've missed the whole point of what hating NARVs is all about so log out now.
Shouldn't the average NARV site rating be 5? I'd have thought the NARVs would upvote each others sites.
I wouldn't call this ego-feeding. This is just name calling, pure and simple. People who've been with YTMND for 7 months want to make fun of people who just got here 6 months ago. The fact is, RV have been around since the beginning. There was nothing clever or original about editing KHAN and "stapler" into every goddamn wav file on the internet, but that crap still got 5'd as soon as there were 5's to give. Even if new users don't know from funny, there's no reason to keep a list here. If you're upset because the people on the list downvoted your site, you really need to grow up. Timeconsumer 00:49, August 24, 2006 (CDT)
thanks for not reading the article where it says this type of behavior is not new to YTMND. Thanks so very much for getting upset first. MasterSitsu
Design on this page
Fellow contribs, be careful with the layout the Table. Template is tricky
! - the exclamations on the top are for each column across (three !'s mean 3 columns)
| - each line is a row nomination (there are four sets of | descriptions, each follow the ! column, except the 4th and last which defines a row color background) nutnics 01:03, August 3, 2006 (PST)
I changed the image back to the baby with computer. It's just plain better and I'm pretty damn possessive about it. The "new" drawing just doesnt fit. MasterSitsu
I put in Xiu in the list. Feel free to edit/delete if anything. --St205 20:19, August 20, 2006 (CDT)
I personally don't think Xiu is a NARV as much as an upvoter turned attention whore.--MarcusTheMartin 20:54, August 20, 2006 (CDT)
He has the qualifications to be NARV,but he/she only spams comments and downvotes/upvotes if it feels like it. So you're right. MasterSitsu took it off the list though. --St205 16:13, August 21, 2006 (CDT)
I took him off the list as he's now just an Attention Whore. No evidence of genuine stupidity or retardedness in the NARV defined sense... he was an upvoter, now he's a downvoter - his vote split is because of altered attention whore-dom, not because he only likes or dislikes sites. He's pretty much defined in the 'downvoter' wiki under types as 'attention whore' --MasterSitsu
- Might as well post this here.. I believe whitestreak is an Attention Whore, because of his comments. I did not add him to the NARV list due to his repetitive comments.... Which make me think that if theirs a large group of Attention Whore, shouldn't their be an article created for them, or a sub article inside the Downvoter Article? --Southpark 15:48, August 31, 2006 (CDT)
Hmmm from the looks of it,it might be an alt account for massive trolling. Truly an attention whore like Sexymofo,etc... I thought that a sub-article for the attention whore character was already posted?--St205 15:07, September 1, 2006 (CDT)
- I only see a sub section mentioning attention whores, but I just recently thought my idea would be bad... it would give more attention to the attention whores.. I did not think that one through.--Southpark 21:08, September 1, 2006 (CDT)
Specifacation Of Whom Exactly Is A NARV
Although the basic idea of a NARV is a retarded upvoter/downvoter whom is from the '06 generation, but although a good classifacation, is it specific enough? What of the retarded voters of pre-06? Even more noted, what of the people whom only vote and comment on sites that they deem either really good, or really bad? It's hard to specificly class the group NARV, simply because of the diversity of the people who inhabit YTMND, so maybe a. Just my two dollars and fifty cents. --dropkick
- Is Super mario bros or super mario world ending? --Midolf 11:29, September 6, 2006 (CDT)
They mostly use,the Super Mario World fast ending. Or the other one. St205 17:32, September 7, 2006 (CDT)
More voting classification?
Would a NARV also have a biased average vote, even though they vote 2,3,and 4? By that I mean, if they have an average over 4 or below 2, would that make them a NARV?--Dhaos 21:04, September 9, 2006 (CDT)
Look for a major spilt in votes between 1 and 5 if it looks like a thumbs up/thumbs down rating system is being used then you could say that user is a NARV--MarcusTheMartin 23:12, September 9, 2006 (CDT)
"NARV" is dumb
I fucking hate this elitist term NARV. You know who else glorifies their salad days? Republicans. You people make me sick.
Who can forget the good ol' days of YTMND? Ah, sweet 2005, those glory times when everything was clean and simple, and the hardest choice a young lad or laddette had to make was Batman vs. Picard. Before all these fucking NARVs came along and fouled the whole works up! YOU GOOD SIRS HAVE SULLIED YTMND, the Internet gem of the early-mid '00s. Oh, 2004, gentle 2004, when all sites were actually milled by hand by master YTMND artisans on 386 DXs with 12 megs of RAM. Those were heady times. And the music! So diverse in origin, from all corners of the globe - marimbas, zithers, and the very harp of a Jew! Not like now, with the accursed NARVs and their sped-up Super Mario World endings and Wah-wah-wuh-wah-awwwww Price is Right special effects. To this day I will still sort by date and peruse those precious treats from 2004. All priceless! Go back and see for yourself, and I guarantee you'll spend hours engrossed, just laughing and masturbating. Yes, YTMND would be virtually destroyed, were it not for the valiant efforts of ideologically-motivated YTMNDers. They, surely, are the ones who keep this site bearable; voting 2, 3, and 4 to uphold a moral standard that the younger generation has long ago abandoned, all the while putting filthy NARVs in their place with sanctimonious good-ol-boy moralizing. God bless them.
In conclusion: fuck this concept.
Brdude 10:39, September 10, 2006 (CDT)
I think I just got owned.--Inkdrinker 13:33, September 10, 2006 (CDT)
"In conclusion: fuck this concept." - But it sounds like you agree with it too. And you really shouldn't be masturbating to YTMNDs. :P --Nutnics 15:17, September 10, 2006 (CDT)
His point was that we're masturbating to an idealized past and our sense of superiority. And while I can't get around how much I dislike the people we call NARVs - their gleeful aping of things that've been old a long time, their idea that a ranking system is only to make people feel better, their rank hypocrisy on "downvoting" and theft of material, their general inability to spell and their total failure to think of anything other than a linear sequence of events as art - I have to admit he has a point and since brdude is one of the few users who has any opinion I respect about anything at all, I have to give it some consideration. Which leads me to this: Is there anything at our disposal that we can make use of to make a more positive push for new users to experiment with the form of the YTMND? Something other than the typical comments, votes, sponsorship etc? What if we make a blatantly editorially biased "pick of the week/month" page that finds a site that really breaks/broke the mold with an in-depth look at what separates it from "NARV" fare. I don't think it's enough, but build off the idea if you have something...--Inkdrinker 18:52, September 10, 2006 (CDT)
Perhaps someone forgot to read the top of the article. Here's what it says:
- NARVs seem to be inexperienced and their influence can be attributed to the rise in votes for relatively novice sites that would have never reached popularity in the hey-day of YTMND's past.
- NARVs seem to have no knowledge of YTMND history or the classics that define the tone of the website at large, and have no desire to learn, unlike the common noob.
- NARV-like behavior is not entirely new to YTMND.
- …by rising in numbers they have justified each others stealing of already well known "funny pictures" from sites throughout the Internet, be they from other YTMND users (see Parasite), 4chan, b3ta, SomethingAwful, screenshots of bizarre news stories, and so forth.
- NARVs are not unique to YTMND, either. Any site that features “original” content and a voting system is vulnerable to NARV invasions. See: YTMND NARV becomes a YouTube NARV. (WARNING: extreme NARVism)
- NARVs seem to enjoy overdone fad music, such as Axel F, The Price is Right "failure" sound, the Super Mario World sped-up ending song, Ghost Love Score by Nightwish, "Requiem for a Tower (The Two Trailers soundtrack)", "Untitled" by Simple Plan, Final Fantasy and other RPG soundtracks, Max Coveri's "Running in the Ninties", or older YTMND "fad" songs that have long been retired.
- NARVs create and cluster around fad sites that require the least amount of work, continuing to make and upvote them long after the fad has peaked.
- NARVs quickly obliterate fads by attaching gifs posted many times before on YTMND with the new fad music, creating a "double unoriginality" syndrome that experienced YTMNDers find unbearable.
Please read the article before bashing it to oblivion. But I love how you went off on a tangent and compared NARV critics to Republicans (even though Dick Cheney never had to worry about someone stealing his Picard GIF...oh wait, he doesn't; I guess your logic fails...wanna call the critics Gay Anime Furry Nazis next?). --OMG HAX! 19:40, September 10, 2006 (CDT)